When you're setting up a business, you already have enough on your mind without being forced to consider the practicalities involved in business formation. That's why business owners are increasingly turning to professional formation services. Two of which are InCorp and IncFile. They'll be compared so you can understand which is best for your business.
IncFile vs. InCorp: The Verdict
InCorp and IncFile offer reasonably priced services, though IncFile offers a free LLC package. Many of their services overlap. IncFile has a lot more online feedback and seems to be more popular, but InCorp appears to have a smaller, more personalized team, with around 80 people in the entire business. IncFile has lost its BBB accreditation, while InCorp remains in good standing with the BBB. You should balance the popularity of IncFile with the more bespoke service offered by InCorp.
Choose IncFile If:
- You're starting a non-profit
- You're forming an LLC
- You value a free (state fee only) service
Choose InCorp If:
- You're looking for a price match
- You're starting a partnership
- You want a smaller company that offers a more personal 1-1 business service
Services Offered & Pricing
InCorp's customer support team is available for 12 hours per day, and they're accredited with the BBB; however, they don't offer bundles for their services in the same way that IncFile's does. This may seem to be cost-effective for some, in the sense that you only pay for exactly what you need and can design your own "package," but it could be said that IncFile offers better value for money in a side-by-side comparison. InCorp offers similar services to IncFile, but they're impossible to beat in terms of price.
- A registered agent is offered
- Easy to use client portals are offered by both
- They're both fairly affordable
- IncFile is more geared towards formation packages, whereas InCorp is more geared towards individual services
- IncFile offers a free formation service
- InCorp is BBB accredited
- InCorp will offer you a discount based on buying a longer-term contract
IncFile Packages & Pricing
Silver package - $0 + state fee
- Preparation and Filing of Your Articles of Organization: These are the required documents for your LLC formation; Inc File will handle everything for you
- Company Name Availability Searches: Inc File searches in your formation state to ensure your business name isn't already used
- One Year of Free Registered Agent Services: You get access to free registered agent services for one full year with a Silver Package. Successive years will be charged $119 annually if you choose to continue this service
- Order Status Tracking: IncFile offers an order status tracking tool that monitors the status of your order
- Business Tax Consultation: One of the services included in this package is a no-obligation tax consultation for 30 minutes with a certified tax professional
- Lifetime Company Alerts: You'll receive email notifications to remind you of important dates, such as filing annual reports or other compliance requirements
- Online Document Access: Once your state of formation returns your filed documents to IncFile, they will be ready for viewing and downloading on your online dashboard
Gold package - $149 + state fee
The Gold package includes everything from the Silver package, plus the following:
- Employer Identification Number (EIN): The EIN is a 9-digit number that acts as an SSS number for your company. If you have an EIN, you can do some things such as filing business taxes or opening a business bank account. You can obtain your EIN on your own from the IRS or let IncFile do the work for you
- Custom Operating Agreement: If you are a Gold Package IncFile customer, IncFile LLC will draft and finalize your operating agreement
- Banking Resolution: You can officially open a business bank account if you have a banking resolution. However, the banking resolution document would be redundant and unnecessary if you already have an EIN
- Gold Business Formation Kit: You will receive a kit that bears the name of your company together with a transfer ledger
- S Corporation Tax Form Preparation: Only a few LLCs use this feature. But in case you wish to be taxed the way an S Corporation is taxed, the document preparation and filing will be done by IncFile for you
Platinum package - $299 + state fee
The platinum package includes everything in the gold package, including extras such as:
- Expedited Document Filing: IncFile LLC will choose to expedite the filing of your documents in case your state of formation offers an expedited service. Customers who upgrade this Platinum Package will enjoy the ease of use
- Sample Document Library: IncFile LLC will give you access to their document library that provides their customers various and commonly used legal contract templates
- Business Website and Domain Name: You will be provided with your business website and domain name
InCorp Packages & Pricing
InCorp sells its services in packages that include preparation and filing, although, as was previously stated, these packages do not include the state's filing fees. However, if you need a registered agent and LLC filing, for example, they do not package these two services together.
Their a la carte prices are as follows:
- Registered Agent (1 year): $99
- Registered Agent (2 years): $89.10/year
- Registered Agent (3 years): $80.52/year
- Registered Agent (5+ years): $66.56/year
- Corporation or LLC Formation: $99
- Foreign Qualification Registration: $149
- EIN (Employer Identification Number): $69
- Certificate of Good Standing: $35
- Corporate Dissolution: $99
- Amendment: $99
- DBA (Doing Business As): $99
- Managed Report Service: $49
One of the most important things to note is that one of their primary services, acting as a registered agent for your company, is priced differently based on the number of years they provide. You can get a third off your yearly registered agent cost if you know that you will require their services for five years or more. InCorp doesn't provide full packages like IncFile, and the pricing can be confusing and include extras like non-negotiable shipping fees.
Thanks to the price match guarantee, if you only need an individual a la carte service, InCorp is very competitive; however, IncFile should be a top consideration for a bundle.
Document Management & Online Experience
InCorp and IncFile both offer easy-to-use online systems with reliable document management. One difference is that InCorp provides a Mobile App called Entity Management System (EMS), which allows you to view your document status on the go. Though InCorp doubtlessly offers more features, IncFile is simpler to use with fewer pop-ups and random redirecting.
- You can manage all of your documents online easily
- InCorp offers a mobile app called Entity Management system
- IncFile is simpler to use
InCorp doesn't explicitly share their processing times, though they promise to strive for the fastest turnaround times in the industry. Many reviewers reveal that their processing times are quick; however, it's difficult to accurately compare without a specific timeline.
IncFile has decent processing times. However, it varies by state; it can take 20 business days in Louisiana, which could be over four weeks if there's a holiday. In Florida and West Virginia, the process can take six weeks.
- The precise processing time is unclear and varies by state
- InCorp reviewers reveal fast processing times
Compliance & Track Record
InCorp has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and generally receives positive reviews from their clients. Most clients give them five-star reviews, and those who give them one-star reviews on the BBB site receive a response from InCorp, either explaining the situation or resolving it. Conversely, IncFile lost its BBB accreditation due to unresolved customer complaints. While there are still signs of recovering this, they're opposite InCorp.
In terms of business compliance, InCorp and IncFile offer all services that can help your new business remain legally compliant.
- Both companies offer compliance services
- IncFile's compliance record has suffered some damage and will take time to recover
According to Shopper Approved, IncFile has an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars. Their ratings for customer service, product satisfaction, and price satisfaction are all 4.4 stars or above; their TrustPilot rating has also recently increased to 5/5 despite the loss of their BBB accreditation. InCorp's customer service line is open from 6 am to 6 pm, and outside of these hours, you can find a wealth of information in the client portal, Conversely, IncFile does offer a live chat.
- You can reach excellent customer service advisors most of the time
- IncFile's track record with customers is damaged but recovering
- IncFile has a livechat
- InCorp's customer service line is open for 12 hours per day
Now that you've seen each service's merits let's look at the individual structures for which you can use them and see which performs best.
Limited liability companies are the cornerstone of IncFile's service, with most of their customers starting an LLC. Starting an LLC with IncFile is free, which you can't beat. You'll only need to pay state fees. For this minimal price, you'll also receive registered agent services (free for the first year) and other assistance listed in the silver package.
IncFile offers comprehensive packages that cover everything, meaning that there are no surprises when using their business formation services. While InCorp provides its services in a more a la carte fashion, customer reviews reveal that its services are a massive success with its corporate clientele. It may be worth it to pay a little more for this; however, if you opt to save money, then IncFile is a good choice too.
IncFile doesn't offer support for partnerships, but InCorp can help you set up a DBA for a partnership.
InCorp will assist you in drafting the partnership agreement and show you the best organization to ensure maximum protection, in addition to being your registered agent.
InCorp doesn't support non-profits, and IncFile doesn't offer any services geared towards them; it's seemingly rare for a non-profit to use IncFile's services; however, they do advise that through their LLC formation service and corporate packages they can assist you with the incorporation of a non-profit.
The Last Word
Small businesses and entrepreneurs may find incorporation services particularly useful, but any business entity of any size can use these companies as they streamline the formation process.
Customer feedback is overall more positive for InCorp; however, IncFile is one of the most affordable service providers, offering company formation services for free. With InCorp, it's easier to purchase additional services as everything is available on an a la carte basis. Both provide great email and phone support, and you can trust them to handle your formation documents. Whichever service you use to startup, it's sure to simplify things.