If you're a business owner, one of the most significant things you can do to alleviate some of your paperwork burdens is turn to a business formation service. This is a popular option for all business entities, including large corporate bodies, but entrepreneurs and small businesses, in particular, make use of these formation companies; high-quality assistance during the formation process can make a world of difference.
Today, Inc Authority and Rocket Lawyer will be compared to analyze which is best for you. They'll handle all of the legwork for you and even provide additional business services.
Inc Authority vs. Rocket Lawyer: The Verdict
Since 2008, Rocket Lawyer has provided affordable services to families and startup businesses. Inc Authority is part of a group of companies first established in 1989. Both Inc Authority and Rocket Lawyer can give you everything you need for a business startup. Inc Authority is one of the best LLC services but doesn't support partnerships and isn't ideal for nonprofits. Rocket Lawyer offers excellent legal services and add-on services.
Choose Inc Authority if:
- You're starting an LLC
- You want a free registered agent service
- You want financial services
- You want a lower-cost service
Choose Rocket Lawyer if:
- You need legal services
- You don't mind paying a premium for access to an attorney
- You're starting a partnership or nonprofit
Services Offered & Pricing
Inc Authority is much cheaper and offers comprehensive services at a much lower price, especially if you're setting up a limited liability company. With that said, Rocket Lawyer provides a lot that Inc Authority doesn't, including a 7-day free trial and enhanced customer support and BBB accreditation. While both offer you registered agent services, only Inc Authority offers it for free (for the first year). With that said, Inc Authority also provides a free package for LLCs (you pay only state fees).
- Registered agent services
- Support for LLC and corporations
- Good customer support
- Rocket Lawyer charges for their registered agent service
- Inc Authority offers a lot of tax and credit assistance
- Inc Authority lacks an annual report service
- Rocket Lawyer offers additional features, such as legal help
- Only Rocket Lawyer can help you set up a partnership
- Inc Authority isn't accredited with the Better Business Bureau
Rocket Lawyer Packages & Pricing
Rocket Lawyer offers only two options rather than providing several different LLC formation packages to choose from. Customers interested in creating an LLC via the internet can subscribe to the monthly legal services program or buy a one-time LLC formation.
Monthly Subscription - $39.99/month
The monthly subscription service provides new members with a free LLC formation service. Rocket Lawyer allows you to try out the subscription for seven days. After the trial is up, you will pay the monthly fee of $39.99, but you're free to cancel.
While the monthly subscription and one-time service offer the same LLC formation services, the subscription packages differ in the other types of features you receive. For example, the monthly membership includes a 30-minute phone call with every new legal project and unlimited Q&A with an in-house attorney.
Services included in the monthly subscription package include:
- Accessibility: Easy access to create documents of all kinds
- Legal advice: You can ask an attorney a legal question at any time
- Business consultation: Recieve a free 30-minute consultation on any new project
- Free legal document review: A licensed attorney will review all of your documents
One-Time Incorporation Service - $99.99 + state fees
This one-time purchase is only for LLC formation; you will have to purchase a la carte for any other services needed.
- Paperwork preparation: Filing and preparation of your articles of organization
- Business name search: Rocket Lawyer will search your state's database to ensure your selected business name is available to use
- Document access: You'll have 24/7 access to all copies of your filed formation papers in the online dashboard
- Customer support: You can access customer support via phone, email, or live chat
Registered Agent Service - $149.99
Rocket Lawyer also offers a registered agent service for $149.99 for non-members. If you're a member using their monthly subscription, you get 25% off this service.
Inc Authority Packages & Pricing
Free Package - $0 + state fees
Here are the benefits that come with Inc Authority's free tier.
- Business name availability search: Inc Authority searches to ensure your chosen business name is available for use in your state
- Articles of organization preparation and filing: Inc Authority will prepare your entity documents and paperwork and submit them to your state
- A registered agent for one year: Inc Authority will act as your company's registered agent for one year, notifying you of upcoming filings
- S corporation form: If you file as an S corporation, Inc Authority will file the appropriate paperwork
The free tier also offers third-party access to the following benefits:
- Business funding analysis: You can get preapproved for between $50,000 and $150,000 in minutes through a third party
- Tax planning: This includes a one-hour tax consultation with a tax expert, where you can discuss deadlines, deductions, and other questions
- Business checking account: Inc Authority partners with Bank of America to offer a free business checking account
Starter Package - $399 + state fees
Here's what you'll get with the company's Starter package. It includes everything from the free tier, plus:
- Operating agreement and bylaws: Each member receives fully drawn-up operating agreements and bylaws or their company
- Record book and company seal: This is a collection of the company's most important documents, along with a corporate seal
- Initial meeting minutes: Meeting minute forms for conducting business meetings
- Ownership certificates: All owners are given a copy of the official paperwork for their business
- Tax ID Number (EIN): Inc Authority charges $49 for an EIN, but you can get one free through the IRS
- Evaluation for business credit and funding: Inc Authority will help you find the best sources for startup capital
- Success advisor: Inc Authority will give you access to one of its success advisors for one year
Executive Package - $499 + state fees
Inc Authority's Executive tier continues to build on the previous tiers, including:
- Business license report: This benefit gives you access to Inc Authority's license search software, which tells you exactly which documentation you'll need for your business
- Website domain: Inc Authority will help you secure a domain for your company website
Tycoon Package - $799 + state fees
Finally, Inc Authority's highest tier is the Tycoon package, which is primarily focused on helping to build business credit. It includes:
- Express processing lets you and your company jump to the front of the paperwork processing line.
- BizCredit Express: You have multiple ways to help your business build credit
- Credit coach for businesses: This feature gives you access to a credit coach for 90 days
- Business Credit LaunchPad: Inc Authority's credit-building software guides new businesses
- Registration with D&B Credit Bureau: Dun & Bradstreet, a top credit bureau, will give you an initial credit report
Document Management & Online Experience
Both Inc Authority and Rocket Lawyer offer a streamlined, simple interface that is easy to use. Both websites make it easy to manage your business files and associated legal documents; Rocket Lawyer also offers a handy electronic signature service so you can immediately create contracts for your business. You can easily download all of your documents, and there is no unnecessary upselling.
- Both offer you a secure, easy-to-use online system
- Cloud storage for essential documents
- Rocket Lawyer offers a few more features, like the electronic signature service
The precise turnaround time varies by state. However, both companies will allow you to expedite the process for a fee. For Rocket Lawyer, this fee is $60. Inc Authority charges $49 for the same service.
- Both offer expedited filing services
- Rocket Lawyer's service is more expensive
Compliance & Track Record
Inc Authority has excellent reviews on TrustPilot, boasting almost 5,000 customer reviews thus far. They have an impressive reputation, but the BBB has not yet accredited them.
The BBB gave Rocket Lawyer an A+ rating, while it received 4.25 out of 5 stars in customer ratings. The company received low reviews in 2019 and early 2020 due to the clients receiving charges during the 7-day free trial. Rocket Lawyer has since fixed these issues, and the complaints stopped. Both Rocket Lawyer and Inc Authority can help you remain legally & tax compliant, too. With that said, Rocket Lawyer's legal services offer far more than most service providers in this area.
- Overall positive reviews
- Both are committed to maintaining compliance
- Rocket Lawyers can offer more in terms of legal services and compliance
- Rocket Lawyer is BBB accredited
Quality customer service can make or break a company, so it is important. Rocket Lawyer's team is available via phone, live chat, and email. They operate Monday - Friday from 9 am-9 pm ET. With Inc Authority, customer support is only available Monday - Friday from 8 am to 5 pm PT.
Inc Authority lacks a live chat option, and Rocket Lawyer will allow you to consult directly with an attorney. With that said, some have reported that Rocket Lawyer's live chat option is clunky to use with a strange key-word based system.
- Responsive and knowledgeable customer service teams
- Phone and email support are offered
- Rocket Lawyer has a live chat option
- Inc Authority's team has reduced support hours
Now let's look at the different structures that benefit the most from each service provider:
Business owners should always consider Inc Authority when forming an LLC; they are one of the best LLC services available, offering free LLC formation. Their primary offering is LLC services, with 96% of their startups being LLCs. They also provide additional assistance such as tax, credit, and accounting services.
Setting up a corporation can be complex, with many decisions, paperwork, and legislation to consider. While Inc Authority can help you set up a corporation, they lack the experience and expertise that Rocket Lawyer has. You'd benefit from having an attorney-based incorporation service.
Rocket Lawyer can help you set up a partnership, including a partnership agreement, a document that stands as proof of the partnership and acts as a set of principles for them to adhere to. Rocket Lawyer will make sure that your agreement contains all vital information, which includes:
- The names of all partners
- Partnership name and address
- How profits are distributed
- Required contributions of partners and their deadline for contribution completion
Inc Authority doesn't offer support for partnerships.
Inc Authority doesn't offer comprehensive support for nonprofits; Rocket Lawyer, on the other hand, can support you throughout the entire process. They can incorporate your organization and then come up with an outline for your company; nonprofit bylaws require legal documentation that provides the structure and layout of your organization. Documents cover the number of meetings held, members' expectations, the voting and amendment processes, and more. Rocket Lawyer can offer you full support with this.
The Last Word
Rocket Lawyer and Inc Authority are two great companies that can assist you in all of your business needs. Both offer user-friendly online support with other features, and either would be a wise choice for your business. Inc Authority is ideal for you if you're looking for LLC filing support as they offer a free LLC service (you pay only state filing fees); Rocket Lawyer is ideal for you if you want legal help without needing to find an attorney for additional assistance, their premium packages are particularly brilliant for small business owners who may not like the expense of an attorney.