If you're a business owner, you likely already know a thing or two about the hassle that comes with forming your own company. One way to alleviate your headache is to use one of the business formation services on the market. Two popular options are Inc Authority and BizFilings, which will be compared side-by-side so that you can see which provider best suits your needs.
Inc Authority Vs. BizFilings: The Verdict
Both Inc Authority and BizFilings can cater to your business formation needs. Each offers its own comprehensive customer support packages, including information and advice on how to best form your company. BizFilings is more expensive. However, they also have a better Trustpilot rating. Inc Authority doesn't offer many things that BizFilings do, such as annual reporting.
Choose Inc Authority If:
- You want a free package (pay only the state filing fee)
- You want additional benefits like tax planning and a free business bank account
- You would want trademark assistance
Choose BizFilings if:
- You need an annual report service
- You want to start a partnership
- You want a company with an excellent reputation to handle your filing
Services Offered & Pricing
Inc Authority can't be beaten on price since they have a free filing service (you only pay the state fee) though you can pay for additional services or get a higher-priced package. Despite this, BizFilings is worth the extra cost as they provide better customer service, enhanced compliance, and annual reporting services they offer.
- Both offer good value for money
- Similar services are offered, e.g., both provide a registered agent service (free for the first year)
- Inc Authority has a free option
- BizFilings offers a more comprehensive service - e.g., you can start a partnership
BizFilings Packages & Pricing
BizFilings can provide you with up to three packages, depending on the type of corporation that you choose. All available packages will include 24/7 business monitoring, business name checks, paperwork assistance, and various additional tools.
You can continually expand on the tools to fit your business no matter what package you prefer.
Basic Package - $99 + state fees
The basic package is the most affordable package through BizFilings. With the basic package, your business will be set up to match the required minimum state guidelines.
Each basic package (except the basic nonprofit package) will total the most affordable amount based on that state you live in. The basic nonprofit package is the cheapest option.
Standard Package - $229 + state fees
The standard package will provide all of the tools needed to get your business to match the state guidelines, as well as keep your business up-to-date on the guidelines.
With the standard package, depending on the corporation you choose to set up, you can get a complete package for an affordable price. Again, nonprofit organization packages tend to be the cheapest option.
Complete Package - $359-389 + state fees
The complete package has the highest value in terms of price.
While both packages have many add ons for an extra price, The complete package allows your business to meet state and federal guidelines.
A complete package is an excellent option if you want to expand your business beyond your home state. While the requirements and fees for a business vary from state to state, using the complete package can help ensure that your business can function all across the country.
If you're filing an S Corp, the Complete Package is $30 more expensive. All other business entities are at the $359 price point.
Inc Authority Packages & Pricing
Free Package - $0 + state fees
Here are the benefits that come with Inc Authority's free tier.
- Business name availability search: Inc Authority searches to ensure your chosen business name is available for use in your state
- Articles of organization preparation and Filing: This step has the Inc Authority prepare your entity documents and paperwork and submit them to your state
- Free registered agent: Inc Authority will act as your company's registered agent for one year, notifying you of upcoming filings
- S corporation form: If you file as an S corporation, Inc Authority will file the appropriate paperwork
The free tier also offers third-party access to the following benefits:
- Business funding analysis: You can get preapproved for between $50,000 and $150,000 in minutes through a third party
- Tax planning: One hour of live meeting time with a tax expert about deadlines, deductions, inventory, and other questions
- Business checking account: Inc Authority partners with Bank of America to offer an accessible business checking account
Starter Package - $399 + state fees
Here's what you'll get with the company's Starter package. It includes everything from the free tier, plus:
- Operating agreement and bylaws: Each member receives fully drawn-up operating agreements and bylaws or their company
- Record book and company seal: This is a collection of the company's most important documents, along with a corporate seal
- Initial meeting minutes: Meeting minute forms for conducting business meetings
- Ownership certificates: All owners are given a copy of the official paperwork for their business
- Tax ID Number (EIN): Inc Authority charges $49 for an EIN, but you can get one free through the IRS
- Evaluation for business credit and funding: Inc Authority will help you find the best sources for startup capital
- Success advisor: Inc Authority will give you access to one of its success advisors for one year
Executive Package - $499 + state fees
Inc Authority's Executive tier continues to build on the previous tiers, including:
- Business license report: This benefit gives you access to Inc Authority's license search software, which tells you exactly which documentation you'll need for your business
- Website domain: Inc Authority will help you secure a domain for your company website
Tycoon Package - $799 + state fees
Finally, Inc Authority's highest tier is the Tycoon package, which is primarily focused on helping to build business credit. It includes:
- Express processing lets you and your company jump to the front of the paperwork processing line
- BizCredit Express: You have multiple ways to help your business build credit
- Credit coach for businesses: This feature gives you access to a credit coach for 90 days
- Business Credit LaunchPad: Inc Authority's credit-building software guides new businesses
- Registration with D&B Credit Bureau: Dun & Bradstreet, a top credit bureau, will give you an initial credit report
Document Management & Online Experience
The website and platform for BizFilings are user-friendly and make the experience of managing your business effortless and organized.
You will be able to keep track of tax information and payroll information, as well as plenty of free resources and guides along the way. The essential documents that you can manage include your sales tax registration, your federal tax ID, any ownership certificates you might have. Inc Authority is equally easy to use but lacks the information and assistance provided by BizFilings. Inc Authority allows you to sign up with just four steps, and you can easily manage and download all of your documents. BizFilings goes the extra mile to ensure entrepreneurs have all of the required information at their disposal. Inc Authority's service is less comprehensive.
- An easy-to-use online management system
- Inc Authority lacks BizFiling's level of detail and service
Each company has its processes designed to speed up your filing process. Filing time can vary state by state, and this is out of everyone's control; however, both service providers offer a rush filing service for an additional fee, allowing you to expedite and shorten the turnaround time. Inc Authority's rush filing is only $49.
- Rush Filing is available
- Inc Authority's rush filing is cheaper, with more transparent pricing
Compliance & Track Record
Inc Authority has 4.8 stars out of a possible five on TrustPilot It has nearly 5,000 customer reviews, 93% of which are five-star reviews. Customers appreciate the ease of use and free LLC formation service.
Most negative reviews were unhappy with Inc Authority's charges for services available for free elsewhere, such as employer identification numbers or attempts to upsell. In comparison, BizFiling has an array of positive reviews online, and it was difficult to find any negative reviews. Neither seems to have any issues with compliance. BizFiling is accredited with the better business bureau.
- Excellent reputations
- Legally compliant
- BizFiling is accredited with the better business bureau
Each service provider caters to typical Monday-Friday business hours; though BizFiling's offices are open until 7 pm (central time), comparatively, Inc Authority's team is only available from 8-5 pm.
You can call, email, and speak with the customer support team about an endless range of topics involving setting up a business and how to use the site. BizFiling also provides brilliant FAQs and customer support via the website.
- It has dedicated friendly customer support
- BizFiling has more comprehensive website support
- BizFiling is BBB accredited
- Inc Authority has shorter business hours
Inc Authority is hard to beat when it comes to LLC formation services. The bulk of its services is geared towards LLC incorporation. Services included sharing business registration files with all owners to managing articles of organization documents.
These are all elements to starting nearly any type of business, but they are more recognized as LLC necessities. Inc Authority also mentions that 96% of their clients file as LLCs when signing up for LLC services.
With BizFilings, you can get assistance with starting up either an S or a C corporation. Bizfilings offers much more help in this area than Inc Authority and is far more experienced in setting up corporations compared to Inc Authority.
BizFilings will help you with a DBA (doing business as) Filing and any paperwork and technical aspects of the process. Filing for a DBA is often for companies with more than one partner and is used to assume a name for a company that is different from someone's legal name. Inc Authority doesn't support partnerships at this time.
If you are looking to form an organization but not looking to make any money from the company, your best bet may be establishing a nonprofit organization.
Nonprofit organizations involve a lot of paperwork and tax information, and BizFilings can help with all of the job's confusing aspects. However, there are many benefits to running a nonprofit, especially if you are passionate about the organization.
Many nonprofits can apply for tax-exempt statuses. If you are running a nonprofit, you will also have access to grants and grant writers for your company. Inc Authority doesn't cater to nonprofits though some report they had some assistance gaining nonprofit status after setting up a corporation under Inc Authority.
The Last Word
BizFilings stands out as the best choice in this comparison; though Inc Authority offers impressive services, small business owners, in particular, could benefit from their assistance in the formation process. Inc Authority is one of the few service providers to set up a limited liability company for free.